Sow tomatoes indoors now

1LOVE eating bite-sized cherry tomatoes straight from the plants, but I don’t like gluts (my neighbours, on the other hand, love it when I have a glut of fruit because it means I’ll come round with plenty for them!)

To avoid giving away so much of my crop this year, I’m sowing a succession of tomato plants: a few early ones now, followed by sowings in March and April. With a bit of luck, ripening of tomatoes will be staggered over late-summer.

Last year, I grew blight-resistant outdoor tomatoes from Suttons: the F1 ‘Crimson Crush’ and new F1 ‘Crimson Cherry’. Despite some plants showing symptomsf blight late in the season, all cropped heavily. However, I was disappointed with the taste. Maybe it was a bad summer, but in my opinion, tomatoes of the Tesco ‘Finest’ variety have better flavour!

I plan to trial Thompson & Morgan’s blight-resistant ‘Mountain Magic’ - but my main focus this year will be sweeter greenhouse-grown cherry tomatoes.

I’m sowing three varieties: ‘Sungold,’ ‘Suncherry’ and ‘Sweet Aperitif’ - all from T&M, with packaging boasting “the sweetest tomato," “the sweetest red cherry" and “the sweetest cherry tomato" respectively. Hopefully all will taste better than last year’s crops. I’ll let you know.


You may also like

Keine Kommentare:

Blog-Archiv

Powered by Blogger.